Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 22, 2011

My First Days Here

Wow, I am here! Luckily to my best friend Amber she was able to pack up my suitcases to their full capacity and get just about everything over to Denmark. My flights went by quickly because I was so exhausted I just fell asleep. Per suggestion of someone sitting next to me on my flight from LA to Seattle I got an open faced sandwich in Iceland. I also became very interested in going to the Blue Lagoon Spa. This is something I have heard about a lot in the past but never thought an opportunity would arise. It seems that there are a lot of accommodations that the airport has for extended day-long layovers where they take you out. Check out this pic and you will see why I am so interested.

Well I made it here at about noon Denmark time- 3AM LA time. Luckily Mathilde was there to greet me and help me with my huge bags. I won't be moving them for a long time, thank god. My arms are still slightly sore from hauling them around and then up the five flights of stairs to my apartment. But I made it! My apartment is so nice, warm and cozy. Even better; however, is my roomie. He is great and has really taken me under his wing to make sure that I feel at home. His friend is staying here as well and she is a doll. She is dating an American so she is very familiar with some of my first experiences from an outside view, even though she is from Denmark. 

That first day was quite a blur. My roomie took us out to dinner and I had my first Danish beer. It was a very wonderful evening. The next morning started bright and early.  My facebook status pretty much sums up the way my day went:
I woke up to church bells, got my CPR number (Danish Soc. Sec.), a bank account, a gym membership, a phone service, my iPhone unlocked (we hope), went to an internet cafe to call my parents finally, a personal training session, groceries, volunteered at a Sweet street-kids gym, rode a bike... illegally (more so on the back of a bike while running red lights) and gosh, listened to a lot of Danish... haha great day!
There is more, but it was quite a lot to take in in one day. Oddly enough I couldn't sleep that night even after all of those activities. 

My next day was not as adventurous but still quite fun. I slept in seeing as I didn't get to sleep until about 4:30 AM until 12:30 PM. What a bum I was. I then made myself some of the best scrambled eggs I have ever had. I don't know if it is just because I was starving but I think there is something special about the eggs out here. I put some ham and cheese in them and they were quite yummy. 

I then showered and got ready and headed on my first solo adventure. I was pretty nervous attempting to take the bus by myself for the first time. You have to push a button before your stop but I didn't know where my stop was going to be so that was the main dilemma. The bus driver, also, was not a huge fan of me asking for help. Either way, I made it! I showed up at Rasmus' work just in time to set up a game of beer pong. Yes, beer pong. Rasmus wanted me to teach him and his co-workers beer pong, it was great. I found some solo-sized light weight cups and we cracked open the last of the Christmas beers. I filled up the cups and explained the rules. It was so much fun. Rasmus won his first game and then he and I played together and we won! It was a really fun time. Next they taught me a Danish drinking game where you use dice. I came to learn that dice and drinking are very commonly found together here. 




After leaving Rasmus' work we headed out to dinner. We found a delicious steak house without a wait. It was way too cold to go anywhere that we would have to wait. I found out that my jacket, even though I thought a heavy pea coat was a good jacket, is not very warm at all. At least not warm like it needed to be spending such long amounts of time outside. Even with gloves on my teeth would not stop chattering. It is ok, next time I will be prepared with more and more layers. I wonder if they sell parkas here. HAHA JK But yea it was a very chilly evening. After a very filling dinner we went to our first bar- the Half-Way House. It makes its own specialty shots and we ordered several trays worth of these. One of the best things about this bar is that I was able to talk to some locals who invited me to play dice with them. This girl was very nice and explained the game to me and walked me through our first round. I eventually started to get the hang of things and had a fun time. I also met a couple of professors from my law school who were at the bar and quite inebriated. This was quite a sight to see.



Next we went to a different bar where they had foosball. I am not very big on the game but I learned that it is quite an event here. Rasmus is really good and I played a game with him and we won. After this I let him play with more ambitious teammates. It was fun to watch though. From there we rode bikes home. I don't have one yet so I rode on the handlebars. This is a site to see and I will most definitely try and get a picture of it sometime. It is very uncomfortable and hard to balance but it is so much faster than walking it is worth the pain. We stopped by a sausage wagon on the ride home and I had my first "indian in an open casket with a huge bouquet" haha They have secret code names here for orders as they do at In-N-Out at home. It was funny. Finally I got home and went to bed. 

Today was not very eventful, Rasmus and I were both pretty sleepy. We went walking around looking for a bike for me but everything was closed. Luckily I found this website online where a bunch of exchange students were posting about bikes they wanted to sell before they left. SCORE! Ha I hopefully will be able to meet up with someone and get a gently used bike for a great price! If not Rasmus found me a new one for only 1697 DKKs. I wanted to spend less than 1000 but if I can't find anything then this could work too.

Oh I forgot to mention, I was able to get my old iPhone unlocked, yay! I wish I could figure out how to get the 4, maybe soon. My mentor helped me out with that a ton, as well as all of the stuff I did on my first full day here. She is awesome. I cannot wait until she finishes finals in a week and we can hangout together!

Tonight I cooked my first meal for my roomie and I: a baked potato, zucchini, and caesar salad. I think we are cooking a real meal together tomorrow night. :-) Tonight he is headed to his girlfriend's place and has set up the projector and a movie for me to watch so I don't get bored. 

Things are great, I am trying to distance myself from friends at school because it is kinda hard hearing about everything I am missing. I need to focus on what I get to do here.

Oh another thing! I have my class schedule! I am in:
EU Intellectual Property
EU E-Commerce
Energy and the Environment 
and 
Intro to EU Law and Institutions

I will try and post links later so you can read about them if you are interested. It is pretty cool how the professors go very in-depth in their descriptions and goals, much better than anything I have seen in the US. Oh and I get to go on 1-2 field trips for the Energy class, soo exciting!!

Ha ok, enough for now. Have a good night, everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment