Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Carlsberg Brewery

Yesterday I received an email from a program that plans activities for international students. The first event that was on the list was a tour of the Carlsberg Brewery. I had missed the sign-up day but luckily was able to get in contact with the organizers and joined the group. I met my first (non-roommate) friends and I am excited to get to hangout with them more. The Carlsberg Brewery is a major attraction in Denmark. This beer and Tuborg are by far the most popular beers here as this is where they are made. I looked the factory up online and found out that it was within walking distance, yay! I plugged the address into my iPhone this morning and ventured out on my second solo trip.

On the way there I went under this beautiful gate, not until later did I find out what the other side looked like.




These elephants are really famous for some reason or another even though they are not native or anything. Once I figured out where we were meeting I was able to have a fun time talking to all of the other internationals. I met two girls in particular who really made me feel welcomed. Tabea from Germany and Bet from the Czech Republic. Tabea is a law student and Bet is studying sociology. It was nice that everyone just naturally spoke English because none of them knew Danish. I felt like it was the first time people were not being forced to speak English just because of me. This was really nice.

Once entering the visitor's center we went up a floor and were told that they hosted the world's largest collection of un-opened beer bottles. (different kinds of beer that is) It was huge. It was fun to walk around and look at all of the different labels from all over Europe and China and other near-by places.




One of my favorite parts was the horses. They were huge! Sooo big I do not think I have ever seen horses that big except for those ones that are known for being big...Clydesdale horses. But either way, these ones were rather entertaining.


 


We also were able to sneak a picture on the back of the wagon that they pull beer around in. This is Tabea and I. Rasmus just told me a cool story about the guys who usually ride on these carts. Apparently it is in their contract that they can have 6 beers a day while on the job working... sketchy huh? I guess the company tried to change it and there was a major strike. Good old Danes and their love of beer, I can't imagine any jobs in the US where this would ever be part of a contract.


This is a cool picture of their trucks. Old school style.



And finally, heading out... a far away view of the elephant gate. Tabea and Bet joined me at my house for some tea and bread which made for a nice end to an afternoon. Tonight Rasmus and I are cooking some kind of meal together, time to go shopping soon. I am getting hungry so I am pretty excited. Today was fun, tomorrow is another activity with the international group. They have organized a pub crawl around Vesterbro- the neighborhood that I live in. I am starting to see clearly now how almost everything in Danish culture orients around some kind of drinking... I swear it is not just me. I think it is the best way to keep warm.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna, you're rockin' it over there. I'm definitely awarding you with the Stylish Blogger award. Check out my blog for the fun details of what to do!

    ReplyDelete